Select Page

When I first started looking into how to become an investment adviser, I was running into two different spellings. I was using the ‘or’ spelling, but I soon started to question if I was spelling it wrong, so I started digging to find out which one is the correct spelling.

According to the law and policies around securities and investment advising, specifically the Investment Advisors Act of 1940, the spelling used is with an ‘er’. 

So, that settles it then, the correct spelling is adviser, right? Well, not exactly. 

The general consensus as time goes on seems to use the ‘or’ spelling, even though the lawmakers around securities still stick to the original ‘er’ spelling.

According to the research listed on, searches for advisor have gone up over the years, while searches for adviser have gone down. So, from a marketing and SEO perspective, you’d probably be wiser using the ‘or’ spelling.

Personally, I really prefer the ‘or’ spelling, and maybe that’s because I’m from the US and more used to spelling words with ‘or’ instead of ‘er’. However, I’m going to stick to using the ‘er’ spelling, because I’d rather follow what the SEC and other policy makers use when I’m referencing forms and resources as I go through the investment adviser process. 

So, I’m sorry if you were looking for a definite answer on which one is right, but in this case, you’ll just have to choose the one most suitable for you.

Let me know your preference in the comments or on Twitter @daphnelink.


Thanks for reading.